[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Wed Apr 30 18:18:22 EDT 2003

Ken,

WELL SAID.

The problem with all contests (HF, VHF, etc) is simple: Location. There's
always someone in a better location than you.

1) HF contesters in New England have a 45 minute - 1 hour advantage into
Europe over WNY. At rates of 150/hr, that can be the difference between win
and lose. To fix that, I either need to alter the laws of physics, or move
to New England.

2) VHF contesters in New England have Boston, Hartford, Albany, NYC, Philly
and MDC in troposcatter range. How many VHFers are located in this region
alone? LOTS, as we know. Many with huge numbers of bands. From WNY, I've got
Toronto, Rochester, Cleveland and maybe Detroit on a good day. Far less VHF+
action in these places. In order to fix this, I either have to do something
locally about it, or move.

That's the summary as I see it. Is it really different from this?

If either W2SZ or K8GP (hypothetically) moved to Nebraska for a contest, do
you really think they'd score as well? With all  else remaining equal, the
answer is no. If I moved to the top of Mt. Greylock for a contest, do you
think I'd stand a chance against someone like K1TEO? MAYBE. That all depends
on my ability, equipment and persistence. At least it diminishes my location
disadvantage somewhat.

A winning score involves making the most QSOs, by the most multipliers.
Maybe that's the starting point for examining our contesting goals. IS that
the most important thing?

-Mark, K2AXX

(and BTW, I overreacted a bit to the original post by Kevin. Sorry 'bout
that. Too much caffeine...)