[VHFcontesting] JAN VHF SS date?

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 11 10:02:55 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:49:19AM -0500, KI9A at aol.com wrote:
> OK, I am looking at 2 different websites...one says the ARRL VHF SS is
> 1/17-1/19, but, the other says it is 1/24-1/25.

The definitive web site for this contest is the ARRL Contest Calendar:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/calendar.html?year=2004

Most contests have some sort of formula to determine their date (i.e. "the
fourth full weekend in October," "the last full weekend in November," "the
first full weekend in December where Friday counts as part of the weekend,"
etc.)  In the case of the January VHF Sweepstakes, the formula is "the
weekend before the NFL Super Bowl" (it's in the rules, honest!)  The formula
for the January NAQP Phone is "the third full weekend in January."  Usually,
the third full weekend of January _is_ the weekend before the Super Bowl,
but this year the Super Bowl is being played on February 1, and the weekend
before is January 24/25, the fourth full weekend of January.

> Which is it? I tend to believe the ARRL with the later weekend, maybe they
> changed it so not to interfere  with the HF NAQP contest??
>
> 73-Chuck KI9A

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops