[VHFcontesting] Stupid Categories [was:Are you ready for the January SS??]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sat Dec 13 15:28:42 EST 2003

Folks,
The wrong thing to do is create ANY category that restricts the number of bands
one may use to compete with.  U-s-e i-t o-r l-o-s-e i-t.  This is absolute
truth.  Don't sell the entire hobby away because you can't/won't address the
multiband issue for your own station.

While I'm on the topic...the wrong thing to do is create ANY category based on
RF output (it's too late, but it's still the wrong thing to do).  300-watts into
a Create L-P beam means Single-Op High Power in today's world.  160-watts into
4x M^2 18xxx isn't...but will SPANK the aforementioned Single-Op High Power
station.  RF Output is NOT a way to equalize participants.

I'll let the dust settle on this before I decide to comment on what the
categories could/should be.  <giggle>

Talk amongst yourselves... <g>
Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.