[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sun Dec 14 21:52:57 EST 2003

Duane Grotophorst wrote:
> --- "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev at arrl.net> wrote:
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow this.  How would I be
> > discouraged from building a better antenna system?
>
> It is the same dilemma we out in the weeds face today on whether to operate
> HP vs. LP category. I'd love to be running high power now already but the
> gain in Q's and mults I'd get by having higher power is more than offset by
> being having to compete in the HP category.

Duane, for what it's worth...you are an AWESOME force in Wisc!  Even without
being HP!  According to the June VHF QSO Party 2003 and January VHF SS 2003
results...you beat all other single operator stations in Wisc on the bands that
you had in common...even the HP stations.

It would seem that the dilema you're faced with is not so much power level or
entry category as much as it is that you've chosen to participate with fewer
bands (no value judgement...there are many possible reasons).

Not withstanding the other things that annoy you about the scoring, an ERP based
categorizing system is better for our future.

73,
Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.