[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

wbr wf4r wbr at verizon.net
Tue Dec 16 10:58:50 EST 2003

   VHF, et all,
    I've been reading this thread with great interest because I believe there needs
to be some changes in how the reporting is done in QST.  I think that it is very
obvious that those in the more densely populated areas are at a big advantage.
    I totally disagree with Ev on the "ERP" issue.  I think it would discourage the
betterment of  one's station by building a better antenna system.  The determination

of ERP should not be used as a power class division.  Thankfully the FCC does not
limit ERP.
  Dana, N1FOZ, said it best
"I personally think that going to an ERP based class system would be
very confusing.  In order to make sure no one exploits a big loop hole
the rules would get VERY complex."
    Let's keep it as simple as possible, please!
    I have been very fortunate to have been declared Roanoke Division  winner of the
ARRL August UHF Contest for the last three years.  My success can only be accounted
for the fact that I have 2x 4329WL antennas @ 85' and only run 60 Watts out of the
brick amplifier.  Not that my score was all that great, but if I had been forced
into the high power catagory just because of the antennas, it would not have been.
Thanks for reading my "2-cents worth"
73, Bill, WF4R, FM16ts