[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps [was: Asuggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Tue Dec 16 09:04:34 EST 2003

On 16 Dec 2003 at 7:14, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> It's not about getting everyone to buy microwave gear.  It's about sending
> conflicting messages.  The way the rules are written about MultiOp
> participation, those that CHOOSE to use our bands must make a decision to either
> do that (a very good thing) or to enter the Limited MultiOp category (a very BAD
> thing).  L-M/O, the way it is configured now, is bad for our future and works in
> opposition to the efforts funded by the ARRL's Spectrum Defense Fund.

Which presumes the contests are designed to support the
ARRL's Spectrum Defense Fund.  I don't recall seeing
anything published by the ARRL that states this.

It's about resource management.  If there were a 4-band
rover or single-op category, I'd be much more inclined to
ramp up my station and my contest activity on 4 bands than
I would to add minimal capability on higher frequencies.

As it stands now, I just have minimal capability on 4
bands, with no plans of adding any additional frequencies,
or much in the way of improvement of the bands I'm
currently QRV on.  You give me a limited-band category
though, and I'd be much more interested in getting more
involved.

Now, I can understand why someone who is already QRV on
every band from 50 Mhz to daylight would be more interested
in getting people on higher frequencies, but it doesn't
interest all of us.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA