[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps[was:Asuggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Tue Dec 16 22:36:17 EST 2003

Lee Hiers wrote:
> > And THAT's the problem.  The organization is promoting activities that work
> > against each other.  They have patently different goals.
>
> They don't work against each other.  One (fund) promotes
> use of the spectrum, the other (contest) doesn't discourage
> it...in fact, the contests also encourage the use of
> microwaves, but apparently not to the extent you wish..

Hi Lee,
I must not have used the right words somewhere.  I whole heartedly agree that
contests (by definition) promote the use of spectrum (imagine trying to contest
without using any <g>).

The advantage to being a MultiOperator station is that you have more operators,
each able to squeeze out all available QSO's on all active bands.  As a result,
scores of M/O's are traditionally higher than their S/O counterparts....even
when the number of bands is the same.

If one wishes to create a category for somehow "Limiting" M/O's then it simply
makes sense to limit the number of operators they are allowed to employ.

In a world where everyone wants our spectrum, it makes no sense to create a
category that limits our ability to use it in order to "be competitive".

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.