[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps[was:Asuggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Wed Dec 17 00:14:12 EST 2003

On 16 Dec 2003 at 22:36, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> The advantage to being a MultiOperator station is that you have more operators,
> each able to squeeze out all available QSO's on all active bands.

I'm familiar with the concept.  I was active in contest
mountaintopping long before the Limited Multi class was
implemented.

> If one wishes to create a category for somehow "Limiting" M/O's then it simply
> makes sense to limit the number of operators they are allowed to employ.

As long as there is only one transmitted signal per band,
the number of operators is irrelevant.  Some people can
last 48 hours in a contest, while some can only operate a
few hours at a stretch.  A M/O should be able to choose how
it wants to man its stations.

> In a world where everyone wants our spectrum, it makes no sense to create a
> category that limits our ability to use it in order to "be competitive".

Except for the fact that contests are competitions.  They
are not designed to be "spectrum occupiers" to demonstrate
the fact that the bands are being used.  If, incidentally,
that activity can be used to illustrate occupation of the
bands by amateurs, fine.  But, that is not the contests'
purpose...unless you can point me to something I haven't
seen that was published by the ARRL (again, presuming ARRL-
sponsored events).

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA