[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps[was:Asuggestionfor ERP-based Entry Classes]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Wed Dec 17 06:54:41 EST 2003

Lee Hiers wrote:
> Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:
> > If one wishes to create a category for somehow "Limiting" M/O's then it
> > simply makes sense to limit the number of operators they are allowed to
> > employ.
>
> As long as there is only one transmitted signal per band,
> the number of operators is irrelevant.

If your theory is true, then is should be supported by contest logs.  Engaging a
normalized study one should find that an ABCD9E multioperator log and ABCD9E
singleoperator log should have equivalent scores.  Additionally, a normalized
study of Rovers would show that 1 person Rovers and 3 person Rovers (2 operators
and a non-operating driver) score the same.  This is not the case.  M/O's (fixed
or rover) will score higher.  Number of operators is very relevent on many
levels.

> > In a world where everyone wants our spectrum, it makes no sense to create a
> > category that limits our ability to use it in order to "be competitive".
>
> Except for the fact that contests are competitions.  They
> are not designed to be "spectrum occupiers" to demonstrate
> the fact that the bands are being used.

And THAT is a problem (probably where we disagree?).  Off-list I was corrected
on a statement that I made earlier about how outside interests used the ARRL's
Repeater Directory (not contest recaps, as I noted) to make a very strong case
for the reassignment of the 220-222 MHz spectrum to other services.  The ARRL
Repeater Directory wasn't designed to be the definitive authority for 220-MHz
activity, yet it turned out to be a factor in our loss of spectrum.

While "They [VHF Contests] are not designed to be 'spectrum occupiers' to
demonstrate the fact that the bands are being used", there is history to suggest
that others can use such information against us quite successfully.

Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.