[VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 21:56:19 EST 2003

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> Surprisingly, ERP-based calculation stays simple.
> All one must do is determine
> the "ERP Factor" pivot point that makes the most
> sense for a given band.  Let's
> use some real examples (just like the one for 432
> that was cited in an earlier
> email):
>
> A. 2-watts to a 55 Element 1296 Loop yagi = 110
> B. 2-watts to  4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array
> = 360
> C. 9-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 495
> D. 9-watts to  4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array
> = 1,620
> E. 18-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 990
> F. 18-watts to 4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array
> = 3,240
> G. 65-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 3,575
> H. 65-watts to 4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array
> = 11,700
>
> The question becomes...what should the Pivot Point
> be for 1296?  In some ways,
> it's as much art as it is science.  In this case,
> maybe it should be 1,000?
> Establishing a meaningful Pivot Point is the
> 'pivotal' part of this proposal. :)
>
> Once determined by the ARRL, the calculation is
> e-a-s-y.  This is not unlike the
> way the rules read now, with different power pivot
> levels for each band.
>
> Ev, W2EV

If this is implemented there will be many who will
stay with small antennas with broader patterns but run
relativley high power (just to be able to stay in the
"Low ERP" category). So then the bands will be full of
all these less directive alligator stations who can't
hear squat. Simply because they will not hear as good
as they normally would have, if they weren't being
effectively discouraged from running the best antenna
systems that they possibly can. In the end everybody
loses because there will be less Q's and multipliers
to be worked by everybody (especially the long
distance ones). In the end when you are setting
categories by power alone you are doing nothing to
discourage building better RX capablities, but by
setting categories by ERP you will most likely doing
so, a horrible precedent to set.

With the currently unrestricted antennas (regardless
of power category) and lower TX power there will
always be more Q's made by everybody and less QRM to
contend with than by higher power and poorer antennas.
And how could categorizing by ERP do anything but
discourage and/or limit the possibility of working the
longer distance Q's? This is true for no other reason
than the fact that most "Low ERP" participants won't
be able hear nearly as good as they used to with
unrestricted antennas. And for every Q that I (or
other antenna restricted op) don't make is also a Q
that somebody else doesn't make either.

And just how would you categorize a rhombic or corner
reflector antenna in terms of elements? By my
estimation a Laporte rhombic is just two elements. Who
cares if it is a mediocre performer for its physical
size, but hey it will be just two elements, and that
is all that will be important with the above "simple"
formula for ERP categorization. So I'll just put some
of those up and feed them with my 1-5/8 inch cable
instead of multielement yagis and crank up the power a
few notches. So much for any notion of leveling the
playing field by counting elements. And pitty those
poor manufacturers who try to sell close spaced beams.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj