[VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-basedEntry Classes]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Wed Dec 17 07:04:34 EST 2003

> > Surprisingly, ERP-based calculation stays simple.
> > All one must do is determine
> > the "ERP Factor" pivot point that makes the most
> > sense for a given band.  Let's
> > use some real examples  <snip>

> If this is implemented there will be many who will
> stay with small antennas with broader patterns but run
> relativley high power (just to be able to stay in the
> "Low ERP" category). So then the bands will be full of
> all these less directive alligator stations who can't
> hear squat.

Maybe...but that strategy is something that they will find is counterproductive
and eventually find a strategy that works better for them.  The ERP-based
proposal still allows us to be stupid if we want to be stupid. :)  It also
corrects a loophole that I've outlined in previous emails.

> And just how would you categorize a rhombic or corner
> reflector antenna in terms of elements?

And how about parabolics and simple feedhorns?  I've already mentioned that
these items would require some thought...but that the concept of ERP-based
segregation is a fairer way to do things than the present RF Output only
method.  I would also say (opinion) that if someone is capable of stacking
rhombics to get appreciable gain, then they are also capable of a more
complicated method of determining their participation category. :)

Ev, W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.