[VHFcontesting] More Bands

Jamie.Dupree at cox.com Jamie.Dupree at cox.com
Wed Dec 17 12:16:34 EST 2003

VHF'ers-

I've been reading with interest the back and forth over
scoring, frequency usage, contest, etc.  All sides
have their points.

20 years ago, my college club station had single band
Icom rigs for 6, 2 & 432.  Now you can buy a rig with
HF, 6, 2 432 & even 1296.  I agree with N1OFZ - more
people will get on the higher bands as more bands are added
to the radios that are mass produced.

There are people who will build and test - and people
who want to buy a rig and get on the air.  No one
is better.  Both get more people on the bands every month.
Both are crucial to our hobby.

There seemed (IMO) to be a lot more CW on 6 & 2 in
the June VHF contest.  There are more and more familiar
HF contest calls being seen in the VHF contests too.
These are good signs that more are getting involved.

Some want a 6 meter only contest.  I like the idea.
Others would like more VHF categories in terms of single
band, CW only, phone only, etc.

My holiday thought is that more and more people are
looking at VHF and getting on VHF/UHF.  Hopefully my
June VHF entry will be more than AB.  Maybe yours
will be as well.  However you do it is okay by me.

And I won't say anything about captive rovers ;-)

73s Jamie
NS3T
FM19