[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 16:30:36 EST 2003

SO what is the opinion of list members as to the best
VHF/UHF radio for contesting?  I have used several,
with varying results.

If it were up to me, here is what the ideal rig would
look like.  Lets call it the Yaesu FT746 (an upgrade
from the 736, as the 847 was a step backwards)

1. 6 meters, 2 meters, 70cm and 23 cm out of the box
2. 100 watts on 6,2, 70cm, and 20 on 23cm
3. Modules for 222, 902, and 2304 (covers both weak
signal and satellite portions)
4. Rig can hold all 3 optional modules
5. Built in memory keyer and voice keyer
6. Separate antenna jacks for each band
7. ability to put 12 volts on each antenna jack for
preamps
8. Transverter port
9. Ability to set power levels separately for each
band and mode-so you could run 100 watts on 2 meter
SSB, and 20 on FM
10. Built in soundcard interface for WSJT
11. True dual receive, can be set up for duplex for
satellites, or listen on 6 meters while running
stations on 2 so you don't miss the quick band opening

So, how long do you think it will be before such a
radio is produced?  And who will be the first one to
produce it?

73s John NE0P