[VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 13:18:31 EDT 2003

>I have. Maybe we should subtract points from your
score for every rover you don't work. How's that
sound?
> These suggested rule > changes are getting
ridiculous and I don't believe reflect the feelings
> of the actual people who are operating or even the
> spirit of VHF contesting.

Amen!  The more rules we add, the more complicated the
contest becomes, and the less newcomers it attracts.
If we want to increase the number of people in VHF
contests, we need to simplify the rules as much as
possible.  The last thing some new ham with a dual
band FM rig needs to worry about is how he had better
work so many people on 70cm or his log will be thrown
out.  We should be happy he is trying out contesting
in the first place. Maybe he will like it and go and
buy a 2 meter or 70cm all mode.

Plus, where is it written that life has to be fair for
VHF contesting?  I am already screwed by not living in
the Northeast.  I could get on 1296.1 and call CQ the
entire contest, and how many people would answer me?
Probably none.  Thats the price I pay for living in
the State of Oklahoma instead of in 1 land.  I am
still shocked when someone tailends another station on
70cm during a contest or band opening.  We just don't
have that much activity here, but we try to generate
as much as possible, and have learned to live with it.

I also am screwed because I cannot put up large towers
and stacked VHF/UHF arrays (at least yet).  I can't
afford high power amps either.  Maybe someday I will
be able to afford towers and amps, but I have learned
how to be satisfied with what I have, so far.  That
doesn't mean that I don't try to improve the station,
but with a new baby in the house, the money just isn't
there-plus my boss doesn't see fit to give me a raise
the whole time I have been at the university.  Oh
well, I have learned to deal with it.

Other stations should do the same.  If you don't have
friends who you can talk or persuade into captive
roving for you, get over it.  Look at it as a
limitation of your current situation.  Some people are
more persuasive than you, or have better resources to
equip their friends with roving stations.

73s John NE0P EM04to