[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Wed Jul 30 15:25:09 EDT 2003

After a fashion, almost ALL rovers (save the rolling hamshack types) borrow
gear from some group or another. That part of the comparison is too broad,
which can be interpreted incorrectly. I think I know where you are going
with this, but don't think it's correct to assume some obligation just
because I use borrowed stuff.

I still don't see a problem with it. I don't do it myself, but knowing that
it happens should cause one of a couple reactions:

1) Do the same thing. Send out rovers that are totally dedicated to your
cause. Tell them to work you only. Work them often.
2) Do the similar things. Send out rovers that work you AND others, since it
will benefit the VHF community. Work them often.
3) Don't work Rovers. That way, your ethics can't be questioned.
4) Do nothing about it, and try to force changes to rules to make it
impossible to do it.

#4 has been worked to death here, with LOTS of pro/con argument. It's pretty
clear to me that this is not the route to go, as it stands a greater
potential for harming what's working than to penalize that which isn't. Thus
far, consensus seems to be that rules are OK as they are. What we're facing
is an issue of personality / capability. Either someone doesn't WANT to
participate fully in the spirit of the rules, or they CAN'T due to the
equipment they own. And of that, only one half is doing something even
moderately crappy.

Anyone who contests is motivated towards a winning effort. Remember, though,
winning isn't ALWAYS about the Top-10. Why do something half-assed? I work
on my station all year long, and try to make it the best I can. That effort
pays off, as scores usually go up with that. Same issue with rovers. As the
activity increases, ease of working stations goes up - so goes the incentive
to play more. If I know that I rove in Rochester - there are no less than 3
12-band stations to play with, and a bunch of 10+ band rovers. If I go to
Cleveland, there's only a few. It makes SENSE to rove around Rochester,
then. Scores get bigger. As that dynamic increases, the urge for others to
do it from here increases. That only builds the energy, and really becomes a
really FUN place to be.

Perhaps we can talk about what it takes to GET that kind of motivation going
in your region. THAT is positive, forward thinking. This argument, while it
has been VERY informative, is like a brick wall. It's starting to hurt me
too much running into it. I'm gonna go build some lasers and start fiddling
around with 474tHz. New band...new points!

Mark, K2AXX
(really, my LAST LAST comments!)