[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Jul 30 14:36:30 EDT 2003

> I still don't see a problem with it. I don't do it myself, but knowing that
> it happens should cause one of a couple reactions:
>
> 1) Do the same thing. Send out rovers that are totally dedicated to your
> cause. Tell them to work you only. Work them often.
> 2) Do the similar things. Send out rovers that work you AND others, since it
> will benefit the VHF community. Work them often.
> 3) Don't work Rovers. That way, your ethics can't be questioned.
> 4) Do nothing about it, and try to force changes to rules to make it
> impossible to do it.

I vote for #2.  How about an open letter from some of the big gun VHF contest
stations that says: "We have a policy of encouring our enabled rovers to work
as many stations as they can - not just us"?

> Anyone who contests is motivated towards a winning effort. Remember, though,
> winning isn't ALWAYS about the Top-10. Why do something half-assed? I work
> on my station all year long, and try to make it the best I can. That effort
> pays off, as scores usually go up with that. Same issue with rovers. As the
> activity increases, ease of working stations goes up - so goes the incentive
> to play more. If I know that I rove in Rochester - there are no less than 3
> 12-band stations to play with, and a bunch of 10+ band rovers. If I go to
> Cleveland, there's only a few. It makes SENSE to rove around Rochester,
> then. Scores get bigger. As that dynamic increases, the urge for others to
> do it from here increases. That only builds the energy, and really becomes a
> really FUN place to be.

I think having more rovers for the general population to work would be a
positive development in the fun category.

> Perhaps we can talk about what it takes to GET that kind of motivation going
> in your region. THAT is positive, forward thinking. This argument, while it
> has been VERY informative, is like a brick wall. It's starting to hurt me
> too much running into it. I'm gonna go build some lasers and start fiddling
> around with 474tHz. New band...new points!

I will be putting the finishing touches on my 1296 transverter tonight for
the UHF contest.

Tree