[VHFcontesting] Good VHF/UHF rigs

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 18:23:13 EDT 2003

I have owned both radios.  The FT847 is a piece of
trash compared to the TS2000.  There is no comparison
between the two-the TS2000 has something resembling
selectivity.  On the FT847 you can easily hear signals
that are 5kc or more away.

The TS2000 did a really good job on VHF.  It probably
isn't as good overall as something like a FT1000D or
TS850 and a SSB electronics transverter when it comes
to strong signal handling, but it isn't bad, and it is
just as sensitive.

If nothing else, it is the ultimate rover rig.  You
get decent power on 4 bands so you don't need amps,
you get a built in voice keyer as an option, built in
CW keyer, and a built in tuner for 6 meters.

Overall, much easier setup than going with
transverters, and if you look at many of the big VHF
station ops, they are switching to TS2000s. I know
several personally who have.  I would have another one
if funds were different, but am having fun and lots of
good luck with my FT100D.

73s John NE0P