[VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 1 11:17:14 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:17:15PM -0700, John Geiger wrote:
> Many times when I enter a HF contest, I do not look to
> maximize my score.  I look to work new countries on a
> specific band or mode.  I do not answer stations where
> I have already worked that country on that band/mode.
> That does not maximize my score because I pass up some
> QSOs that might even be new mults for that specific
> contest.  Does this still make me a legal contester?
> Are the QSOs I make still legal for the other
> stations?

Even in this scenario, presumably you would be just as happy to
work an ST0 as you would be to work VP6/d or a VU4 or a P5 or a
YI.  You wouldn't just limit yourself to the 7O DXpedition your
good buddy is a part of because you really want to see him win
the contest, would you?

Good buddy QSOs are all about giving your friends an unfair
advantage.  I'm not sure why this is an unclear concept.