[VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs

Jim Forsyth jim at forsyth.net
Thu May 1 09:47:36 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker at cs.utexas.edu>
To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs

> Good buddy QSOs are all about giving your friends an unfair
> advantage.  I'm not sure why this is an unclear concept.

It's unclear because it may not be true. Yes it gives your friends an
advantage but whether or not it's unfair is not at all obvious.

It prevents a club from telling its (non contesting) members to "get on and
give us a point". Now, instead, you would have to say "get on and give us a
point but you must work X other stations as well". A likely turnoff for
someone who is not interested in contesting but might be persuaded to get on
and make a contact. By the way what would the value of X be?

Jim, AF6O