[VHFcontesting] Digital modes

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Fri May 2 18:43:06 EDT 2003

"Tim (KE3HT)" wrote:
> I know Beacon net was approved (See ARRL announcement below). I also
> know (via e-mail, I have a link below) that according to Dan (N1ND of
> the ARRL) any digital mode that sends your location (lat/lon or grid) in
> its CQ is considered self spotting and is illegal.

Someone is misinterpreting something.

There is no difference between BEACONet.25's simplex AX.25-based CU2QSO system
(the very one that Dan Henderson approved) and someone using a contest voice
keyer to call "CQ Contest, this is N1ND in FN31" using SSB.

There's no controversy here.  Go out and have fun. :)

Ev, W2EV
http://www.BEACONet.org
look for the hyperlink titled CU2QSO at the top