[VHFcontesting] Re: Mini_Expedition

Bill Seabreeze w3iy at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 2 09:08:29 EST 2003

Yo,
We had a fun time out in the Tuscorora mountain site at FM19aw.
This site is nice and flat at the top, but there are 60ft trees all around,
about 100 yds away, in all directions.  There are just a few holes to
the east and west.  We seemed to do really well on 2m, but on 903 &
above, signals were less than expected.  Tree-attenuators, no doubt.

We were able to QSO:
K2SMN    2m,903
K2TXB    2m,10G (peaked S5, rapid QSB)
W2KV     2m,10G (peaked S1)
K1RZ       2m,10G (solid S5 SSB!)
W4SW      2m, 222
KB8VAO  2m, 432 (loud from EN91!)
N3FZ        2m, 432
VA3YW (EN93!) 2m
WS3C       2m, 432

I'm sure there were others, but I wasn't logging in the darkness, and the
mind
is the 2nd thing to go...

We also copied the W3HMS 10GHz beacon S3 from here...cool!
We noticed all the W3VD beacons have all disappeared...anybody know
what happenned?

We met a couple of deer hunters up there, who said they saw a large
buck eyeballing the van, as they approached.  I guess he was offended by
our antlers.  The hunters were amazed to hear our tall tales of ham radio,
and bouncing signals off the recent auroras.  Some locals said there were
lots of bears out in the area as well.  Nice site, but I prefer a better
uwave
horizon, when available.

Tnx to all who got on the airwaves.  It's always exciting to me to work
anybody on the high bands!
73,
Bill W3IY/R