[VHFcontesting] Inverter Advice

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 19:30:06 EDT 2003

In a message dated 9/3/2003 5:56:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kelly at thejohnsons.ws writes:

> I'm planning to do some rover operations and need a power inverter to run
> my laptop.  I could use advice on selecting a power inverter that won't
> generate large amounts of RFI.  Any advice?

Don't even think about using an a 120 volt AC inverter to power your laptop's
120 vac power supply (either external or internal to the laptop).

I, and several friends, have had good luck with a "car adapter" to supply
whatever DC voltage the laptop needs.  In my case, with an older IBM ThinkPad,
that is about 18 volts.  I found such an adapter on eBay for around $30.

One important trick:  power the car adapter from a separate battery.  The car
adapter powered from the car's electrical system was still noisy; from a
separate battery, very quiet.

73  -   Jim  K8MR