[VHFcontesting] Cross Mode communication

Ed K1EP k1ep at mgef.org
Tue Aug 17 06:43:29 EDT 2004

It happens a few times a contest on 6M to me.  I find it easier to just answer on SSB.  After all, the calling station has copied you on SSB and has decided that he is weak enough that he has to use CW.  IF he can copy your SSB, there isn't an immediate need for you to switch to CW.  Sometimes after making the initial reply (by gaining your attention using CW), the weak station will attempt to switch back to SSB.  I also find it a mild hassle to switch the radio to CW and remembering where the offset is.   If not done right, you will be out of his passband.  On the other hand, when I am the weak station and don't make a QSO on SSB, I will try CW.  In that case, I will set the second VFO to the correct frequency with offset ahead of time so that I can easily switch to CW if necessary.  My most memorable cross mode contact was actually not in a contest.  Back in the mid-70's, I was doing EME on 432 CW with a couple of others when the responding station (WA6SRI I think, now W6SRI) asked us to standby and then came back on SSB!