[VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited]

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Fri Feb 20 20:38:36 EST 2004

On 20 Feb 2004 at 20:07, Ev Tupis wrote:

> > If you don't intend to prohibit circling, why not a rule that prohibits a
> > rover from re-entering a grid without a 4/8/12 hour intervening time.  Seems
> > like this would effectively prohibit circling and not be subjective.
>
> B-I-N-G-O  We have a winner.  This was proposed long ago, before the
> rules changed.  This is the right thing to do.  Add one simple line to
> the rules...
>
> "Once operation has ceased, the same grid may not be re-activated by the
> same moving station in the same contest.  Operation in a previous grid
> is considered 'ceased' as soon as a single contact is made from a new grid."
>
> No ambiguity.  Easily understood.  Easily policed.

B-L-A-T-T!  We have a loser.

I remember back in the California QSO party a few years
back, early in the morning, I was operating mobile and the
rules stated that you had to work at least 10 guys from a
county before you could get the multiplier for activating a
county.  Because it was so early, we couldn't find 10 guys
to work.  We had to move back and forth between the
counties about 4 or 5 times just to make sure we had 10 Qs
in each before moving on to the next one.

Here in the southeast, with no enhanced propagation, I
might decide that I want to move back and forth from one
grid to another in less than 4/8/12 hours.

And what if I decide to take the same route both days?

Both are perfectly legitimate activities.

Oh well...

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia