[VHFcontesting] Rovers again

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Feb 25 18:47:53 EST 2004

> You are making an assumption based on limited or faulty data. That
> assumption being that rule 2.3.5 is inconsistent with grid circling.
> That is not necessarily the case, and in fact it is seldom the case.

The intent of this rule was to encourage rovers to be available for
the majority of people in their area.  Grid circling is not consistent
with that when 99 percent of your QSOs are with the same two people.

You could do grid circling if you also spent time working the other
people in the contest, and maybe only 50 percent of your QSOs were
with the same two other rovers.

> And if YOU are not a rover, why should you care ? Rovers compete against
> rovers.

I care because if these rovers were generating QSOs for the other non
rovers - it makes the contest more fun for them (more contacts with rare
grids = more fun).

> In all of the discussion, I don't think I've seen ANY well known rover
> condemn grid circling.  Yep, it can throw up a higher than usual score and
> occasionally someone goes out and does it for that reason, but seldom at
> the expense of providing a large amount of QSOs for everybody else out
> there.

Well, I think it will be found that there are very few QSOs with other
stations in the logs in this case.

> I would doubt that there's anyone here who's heard a rover team 'grid
> circling' that was unable to work all of them if they called. And if
> 'that' hasn't happened to you, then your score or potential score) was
> never affected, so why should you care what the rovers do ?

Grid circling hasn't been a problem in my local area.  Our guys are smarter
than that.  The activity of grid circling will seldom match up with the
activity for maximizing QSOs with other stations in the contest.  The grid
circlers are very close to the grid corners.  They don't care if they have
a good shot to far away places.

Tree