[VHFcontesting] The Issue (1): Easily ID'd? Then outlaw and move on

Anonymous Coward n0cal at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 29 11:52:46 EST 2004

Hi all,

--- Ev Tupis <w2ev at arrl.net> wrote:
> "The Commissioner" has already said that the very
> things that seem to be
> thought of as unsportsmanlike conduct (Grid Circling
> and Captive Rovering)
> are easily identified.  Tree even said so "on-list"
> a short while ago.

    If captive rovers are so "easily identified," then
why hasn't the league put forth its method? One key
requirement of a law is that it sets a standard that a
person can reasonably understand. "Don't exceed
65MPH," for example, rather than "don't go too fast."

    What, according to the league, is a "captive
rover?" Please let me put forth my worst fears: A
certain big gun has gotten the message from the league
that it wins too much. Then, the league threatens to
disallow a big chunk of that big gun's score (rover
contacts) without actually setting forth a clear rule.
This seems to suggest the league feels that, if a
clear rule were set forth, it would cut too broad a
swath and do more harm than good. So the idea is to
put forth this threat, with the intent to reinforce
the earlier message. The hope is to discourage,
distract and dissuade the winning big gun while giving
the rest of the field a free pass. What next, if the
desired result is not achieved? Let us say, for
example, that all rovers were ranked by the ratio of
QSOs to unique stations worked, and the top N rovers
were disqualified. The league might find some value
for N which would have the effect of creating a new
M/M winner. This, if true, would be very dirty pool --
and enormously unsportsmanlike.

    I sincerely hope that this is not the case, and
that the league comes forth with some objective
captive rover specification putting an end to this
ridiculous environment of unfounded speculation. We
can then all debate the merits of their proposal
honestly and openly.

    To restate my position, forcing rovers to seek out
and make contacts with a variety of other stations on
the microwave bands is an unfair and inappropriate
burden on their time and discourages the elmering of
new rovers into the sport. What next? Will we require
last year's M/M winner to 'loan out' its station to
whomever wants to use it?

        73 - Dave KD3NC, former W2SZ "captive" rover

These words are my own, I do not represent W2SZ.