[VHFcontesting] transverter modification

Marten T Beels martentb at goshen.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:47:16 EST 2004

Hello all,

I've done some googling and digging through the archives, and I've found
apetizing mentions of modifiying transverters for different bands.  In
particular, I'm considering modifying a Tentec 1209 to convert 144 MHz to
222MHz instead of 50 MHz.  This would entail changing the LO from 94 to 78 MHz,
redesigning the filters to pass the sum and block the difference frequencies,
redesigning the final amplifier, and the rx amp.

What else am I missing?

Now I'm trying to decide just how practical such a conversion would be.  Am I
better off building one from the ground up?

I'm an electrical engineering student, so this could be an interesting learning
experience.  I'm not totally unfamiliar with filter and transformer design.
(But far from an expert!)

Marten
KC8HZM/R
Uber Rover with KC8HZQ