[VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

N6KJ kelly at thejohnsons.ws
Wed Jul 21 20:51:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:27:32 -0500 (CDT), Zack Widup wrote:

> I do both HF and VHF contesting.  They are really two different animals.
> Yes, HF contesting provides a certain adrenalin rush when you're working
> 3, 4, 5 stations a minute.  That's a lot of fun.  But VHF contests are
> also fun.  Just in a little different way.  Each QSO can be a challenge
> depending on conditions and the station at each end.  And you know that if
> you're having a tough time of it, other people in your area with similar
> stations are also having those difficulties. I have never considered a VHF
> contest boring.  Even when the band is dead, I'm usually sitting there
> constantly tuning around for someone to work.

Yes, HF and VHF contests have different challenges and can be fun
for different reasons.  I had a lot of fun in the June VHF QSO party, but
I only made about 50 or 60 QSO's.  I didn't have ANY fun in the CQWW
VHF Contest because it was so dead.  I made 5 whole QSO's.  I don't like
fishing if I'm not catching fish.  Hardcore fishermen don't mind it, but
the average Joe706 wants to catch fish or go do something else.  That's
just my $0.02.  Something needs to encourage new participants.  Of course,
that's true of amateur radio in general.  It's not an easy problem
to solve, but I'm glad to see people here brainstorming :-)

> I don't think HF contesters would complain because they got beat out
> when the competitor had a band they didn't have.  I don't have 160 and I
> have a poor antenna for 80 meters.  People with great antennas on those
> bands always rack up more QSO's than me. It seems if you want the extra
> points for QSO's on the microwave bands, you have to do some work for it.
> The thing NOT to do IMO is "level the playing field" by eliminating those
> bands for a VHF+ contest.

I totally agree.  I strongly believe we should keep all the bands.
Rather than eliminate less used bands, we should be encouraging people
to use those bands.  The same is true with modes.  Very rarely do you
hear CW used in a VHF+ contest.  Encouraging CW use wouldn't be a bad
idea either.

> I have gotten a few HF contesters interested in VHF+.  One hardly even
> works HF anymore.  I think this is the only way we are going to get people
> interested - by inviting them to see the station in operation and even to
> operate a little (well, except the single-op stations) to find out what
> it's all about.

I think this is rare, but certainly happens.  Your "elmering" certainly
helped.  As an example of this, 2 years ago I accepted an invitation from
another ham to help him operate rover during the 10GHz contest.  It sounded
like fun and I'd always wanted to experiment with microwaves so I went for
it.  It was a long, hard day of driving and quite frustrating at times, but
it got me interested enough that last year I put together my own 10GHz
station and got out on a hilltop for myself.  I seriously doubt that I would
have put together my own station had I not gone out with him the year before.
Taking the time to invite people along and/or ask them to drop by during
a contest or whatever can go a long way IMO.  I would think it is easier
to do this during a VHF contest, too, because you aren't trying to show
them the ropes while sustaining 100 Q's per hour :-)  I'd love to do
this type of Elmering.  I guess I just haven't figure out a good way to
offer my services yet.