[VHFcontesting] Rovers around Charleston, SC

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 6 22:40:46 EDT 2004

I am afraid you are going to find SC is not exactly a hotbed of VHF and up
weak signal activity.  There is a lot of activity in Georgia, particularly
the northern part of the state, as well as in eastern NC and western TN but
SC has always been kind of a black hole for some reason.  The only realy
active station in SC that I can think of is KE8FD and he is in the tip of
the state near the GA and NC borders.  As far as clubs go there is the
Southeastern VHF Society, a Central States kind of group.  You can check
them out at www.svhfs.org.  As far as contesting is concerned there are only
two, what I would call serious, multi op VHF contesting groups in the area.
The first is W4NH.  It consists of folks from TN, NC and GA that operate in
the June and September contests from a mountain top in eastern NC.  They
have a website at www.w4nh.org.  I know that they do some microwave stuff
and work with the rovers some particularly on the microwave bands.  The
other group is AA4ZZ.  They operate limited multi from a mountain top in the
central part of NC.  I don't know if they have a website or do anything with
rovers but I am sure you can contact AA4ZZ directly and ask.  I hope that
this helps.

73
Jim W4KXY