[VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!

Art ky1k at pivot.net
Tue Jun 8 10:50:56 EDT 2004

I've thought about tracking rovers for some time. However, it seems
marginally practical as rovers change plans, trucks break down etc. So,
they can't always show up on schedule. Once there, you can't be certain you
will find them on the published frequency....in general, it's not
productive to search for a particular rover because the plans/schedules do
change, even after the contest starts.

Of course, using the internet to coordinate/announce rovers being available
in real time would be an awesome boost for us and for them. Unfortunately,
the ARRL forbids solicitation for contacts via non-amatuer means. So, use
of packetclusters is illegal and realtime internet chat pages are out too
(packetclusters are illegal because they are networked and all have
non-amateur links to other nodes).

I've wondered about HF packet though. 80 and or 40 meters provide suitable
propagation distances in daylight or nighttime. Since they are amateur
radio by nature, you can use HF packet to solicit/spot your frequency or
announce you were 'looking SW' for instance. A simple tnc could be used to
transmit and receive unproto packets containing spotting information.

Have you or the group ever given thought about this?? Even a superstation
doesn't work everyone within it's 'range' because the antennas are so
directional. A little amateur radio HF data communications would go a long
way towards improving the activity and the number of stations we work
during contests.

Art