[VHFcontesting] The Issue (2): R2R QSO's

Buck Calabro Buck.Calabro at commsoft.net
Mon Mar 1 10:37:07 EST 2004

>Bob's, K0NR, idea is the most workable I've seen
>yet.  With a time delay before re-entering a grid
>THAT ONLY APPLIES TO ROVER TO ROVER QSO's.
>This way, if I get to a grid corner, I can work
>everyone I find back and forth through all 4 grids
>as much as I want, except another Rover who I
>could only work for "one pass" through the grids.

I maintain that writing rules to restrict contacts goes against the supposed goals of changing the rules.  Here's an example:

In each grid square, there are a small number (maybe only 1) of good hills where rovers can be successful.  This means that rovers tend to go to those few hills.  This means that it is reasonably likely that a rover on a good hill in FN22 will be able to work a rover on a good hill in FN23.  And since rovers move, it is reasonably likely that they will change grids, and end up trying to work each other again from the opposite hill.  Please note that there is no pre-arranged plan; it's completely random.

Why is it so necessary that the winners need to be legislated out of existence?  I'm not upset with the rules the way they are and I am a rover and I directly compete against these stations!  I give them kudos for WORKING so hard to make a million points.  No matter how I slice it, I keep coming back to the simple fact that they made a whole lot of QSOs, which is exactly the goal of the contest.  I guess that as a beginner, I am too naive about the ideals of contesting.

73 de KC2HIZ/r FN32 and beyond...