[VHFcontesting] Re: For you 432 experts......

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Sat Mar 6 18:04:04 EST 2004

At 05:08 PM 3/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I have gotten several replies and I appreciate this very much.  Rather than
>answer individually I will address the group with one email.
>
>Several made suggestions about better coax.  For clarification, the 9913 was
>a generic expression.   The coax is actually 25 feet of Cable Experts
>Flexible low loss with factory N connectors, newly installed.  I have a 30
>ft piece of 1/2 inch Andrews hard-line which I will try sometime soon.
>
>Some asked about the SWR.  SWR measured about 1:5 to 1.
>
>Some asked about noise.  I am blessed with a low noise environment for 432
>and 2 meters.
>
>Some mentioned better antenna system and extra height.  Nice if I could but
>that doesn't address TX better than RX.
>
>Some suggested better RX preamps and antenna mounted.  Question-- Is antenna
>mounting necessary for a 25 ft coax run???
>
>Again, thanks for the suggestions.
>
>David

David,

You might want to take a look at your transverter itself.  Does the RX
noise increase when you turn it on? Do you have an IF gain adjustment in
the transverter - Is it adjusted properly?  If you accidently xmitted with
the transverter in rcv mode, you may have blown the IF gain stage in which
case you might hear very strong signals but not weak ones.  If this is the
case, no amount of the best coax or the best pre-amp would help.

If the IF gain stage is an MMIC amp, check to see if it is drawing current.

I only say this from experience and it was a quick fix during a contest.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52