[VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of Success

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Sun Mar 14 10:35:07 EST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Ron Hooper wrote:

> I would like to ask the group a question.
>
> Why does the success of a contest need to be measured by the number of logs
> received by the ARRL?
>
> Instead of dropping a contest because of the reluctance to submit the log,
> maybe we should look back and ask ourselves, are we actually working less
> people in the UHF or other contest now than we did in the previous years. My
> answer is NO, the activity has increased in the South.
>
> My observation is that hams have simply lost the motivation to send in the
> logs. The threat of loosing the UHF contest could motivate some to start
> turning in a log, but we should also look at what de-motivates operators
> from sending in a log.

It seems that would be a fairly easy thing to identify with modern
computer logs.  The ARRL could compile a list of all stations logged in
the logs they DO get, and then see what percentage of those stations
worked actually sent in logs.

I'd like to see such data compiled and posted somewhere.

73, Zack W9SZ