[VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 22:27:38 EDT 2004

So what other options do those who live west of the
Mississippi river have?  If you want to play contest
here it gets fairly slow and boring (except is June if
you have a good 6 meter opening) unless you build a
superstation.  The activity is just lacking here.  If
you want to do much above 432, you almost have to
equip the other stations.  This is a whole different
contest experience for stations outside of 1,2,3, 8
and parts of 4 land.

And if you want to fully develop a UHF band, you first
have to put the money into developing a good signal on
2 meters, since that is where you are going to move
the 222mhz or UHF activity from.  You just don't hear
people calling CQ on 432 around here, except in the
432 sprint, and sometimes in the UHF contest.

We almost need 2 or 3 different contests to run
simultaneouly, 1 for each region of the country.
There is no way a rover in Texas, Oregon, or Utah is
going to be able to compete with an East Coast station
without using something like grid circling.

If you don't like the fact that you were beaten by
someone who used grid circling, go out and do it
yourself.  A couple of east coast rovers who go out
grid circling, plus working all of the other stations
they hear, should be able to run up a phenomenial
score.

73s John NE0P
Grid EM04to