[VHFcontesting] How to "fix" grid circling

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:09:49 EDT 2004

Here is a "quick fix" to the rover grid circling dilemma:

Prohibit rover-to-rover QSOs. Rovers only permitted to count QSOs with fixed
stations.

The ARRL already prohibits DX stations from counting QSOs with other DX
stations in the ARRL VHF Contests, they can only work W/VE.  So there is a
precedent of sorts.

If this seems too harsh... another solution would be rovers can count QSOs
with other rovers only if they are at least 25 or 50 km away. This would not
stop grid circling, but would slow the process down significantly. Kind of
like a proposed solution to SPAM e-mail which would require a PC sending an
e-mail to solve a math problem set up by the e-mail server. Does not stop
it... but slows it down enough to where spammers find it unprofitable to
continue.

I applaud N6MU for the technical achievement of setting up 10 bands in a
rover. Amazing. Really. I still have trouble getting 4 bands to play while
operating QRP portable. Out in the midwest we do appreciate the Rovers, as
NE0P notes. I appreciated KF0M/r QSOs in the last contest.

K7CW is correct that no rules for the contest were broken.  But WM5R and
K3UHF are right in pointing out that rover grid circling caravans somehow
just don't seem right or sporting. But how to fix the problem without
discouraging activity - for both rover and fixed stations. That is the real
dilemma.

- Jon N0JK

>As far as I'm concerned, these guys did nothing
unsportsmanlike. They took advantage of the rules as
they are written.

The ARRL needs to effectively address the grid
circling matter in a fair way, but soon.

K7CW

--- "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker at kenharker.com>