[VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Wed Oct 27 01:36:25 EDT 2004

If you can't work lots of other stations in WTX, why go there?

To win, because you can. That's why.

It's fun to win. I've never done it myself, but I've come close. I've built
a decent station (yeah, it's a crappy home station - i'm sorry) and don't
stand a chance in HELL of touching K1TEO or AA2UK or WA2FGK or K1RZ among
others. But I still rebuild, tweak, tune and optimize my junk just in case
the opportunity arises. The technical challenge is what gets me going, and I
can certainly appreciate what you've done to get your rover rolling. It
AIN'T easy, that's for sure.

If you have to win, then go nuts. It doesn't bug me - I know that for all
the QSOs I make, I miss a bunch as well - and it's THOSE THAT I MISS which
drive me to improve the station every time. And I'm constrained - I can't
find a different route to drive to make my score bigger - I'm stuck in one
place. Sigh.

The DXer in me just HAS to ask: what's the longest 10GHz contact you've made
while roving during a contest? I must admit, my humble home station has only
worked a measly 320km. I'm sure that with such an advanced rover station
going to some amazing spots - you've got to have done WAY better than that.

One km better distance than last year is a km distance improved. At least
that's how I measure success.

(cynical mode off, nomex on)

Mark, K2AXX