[VHFcontesting] The bottom line [was: One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Wed Oct 27 06:27:14 EDT 2004

John Geiger wrote:
> So what other options do those who live west of the
> Mississippi river have?

This is a different issue entirely.  If the subject is N6MU/N6NB, then
the discussion is not a "what options do I have, except to grid circle
or pack rove?".  Notice who has the top Single Operator Low Power score
here: http://k7xc.tripod.com/VHF_Records/id5.html

The N6MU/N6NB operation is simply one to get the highest possible score.
  If I were to do that, I would drive a pack of rovers to WTX (the
"middle" of the country) and hope for coastal Es to both/either coasts.
  That would allow me to take advantage of both natural phenomena (Texas
*is* the sweet spot if/when 6m opens) and artificial phenomena (a
scoring system that rewards good drivers and geocachers above operating
or technical skill).

It's time to cut them some slack.  The strategy is not only allowed, but
celebrated by the contesting authorities (having been mentioned in the
ARRL sanctioned recap:
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2004/June-VHF/) as
well as by a growing number of other rovers.

Ev, W2EV