[VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Tue Sep 7 22:18:35 EDT 2004

> Ken is right that WRTC "real-time" scoring is a much different situation

I hope I haven't misstated something along the way.  I used WRTC2002 simply as
an example of "out of the box" thinking only.

The system that is being envisioned has participants logging-in and
authenticating to a site that would handle all of the logging and dupe-checking
for the contestant.  There's nothing to misinterpret or mis-state.

> I believe Ev's proposal
> could also exclude rovers, portables, DX stations and others who are not
> connected to the Internet while operating the contest.

Not at all.  Participants could be "always connected" (real-time logging),
"intermittantly connected" (batch-interactions periodically throughout the
event) or e-submitted (just like logs are right now via emailing of Cabrillo
logs, except with a compressed submittal timeframe).

> On-line PC gaming servers can be and are often "hacked." Players
> commonly use "cheats"  to get the advantage while playing on-line games.
> In fact there is a program called "punk buster" used to combat cheats.
> This is a significant problem with on-line gaming and amateur radio
> contesting "on-line" would have to consider and address potential "cheats."

The idea is to expose as many of the hacks or cheats as possible and build a
system that is resistant to them...and provide a penalty that befits the crime,
should it be committed and uncovered.  No "deal killers" yet...but lots of
useful discussion.

Ev, W2EV