[VHFcontesting] Contest voice keyer - which one

David L. Martin dlmarti at kc2lcf.net
Mon Apr 18 12:26:31 EDT 2005

> I would like to find a voice keyer to use on VHF contests. I will be
> operating portable so running a desktop computer using a plug-in card
is not
> an option. I need to find a stand alone unit or a program that will
work in
> the background on my laptop computer. The laptop will be used for logging.
> MFJ makes the 434 keyer but I have tried to stay away from MFJ stuff.
If you
> have used the MFJ-434 please tell me what you think about it. Any
> suggestions or comments?

The MFJ-434 my club had worked well for many years, for the last year or
so the sound quality has deteriorated to the point it is unusable.  This
is probably due to a bad cap.  I would definetely consider another
MFJ-434, if I couldn't use a pc.

As for a program running in background, unless your running DOS whats
the problem?  I know Writelog has a built in voice/cw keyer, I'm sure
others do also.
--
David L. Martin
w0snj at arrl.net