[VHFcontesting] Fwd: Re: VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling

Mike Perryman jmperrym at cmdconsulting.com
Tue Aug 9 12:05:54 EDT 2005

I have tried to remain silent through this whole exchange...   but,

I honestly can't think of any good reasons to use WSJT in a
contest...  unless you have completely worked the band out.  A valid
contact requires 5 minutes to complete.

For terrestrial work, this is an huge amount of time to complete one
contact.  I could knock-off at least 20 contacts by phone in this amount of
time.

On the other hand, it really does require a fair amount of skill and
technique to complete a QSO by HSMS...  and a lot of time trolling for
replies just to locate another station (assuming you don't hangout on
Ping-Jockey).  In doing so, you may miss the "fresh meat" that may pop up
and run the bands for one WSJT (whatever mode) contact.

IMHO just not viable for contesting.  Keeping in mind that I am fairly new
to the contesting arena.  Other than possibly picking up a multiplier...  I
just don't see WSJT as a "useful tool".

I don't really have any suggestions for solving the problem...  other than
possibly sponsoring your own contest, with specific rules regarding
"pack-rovering"...  but then you will have to process all the logs.  No thanks!

Mike
K5JMP

>Another "artifical situation" regarding VHF and contesting, in my opinion,
>are the JT-65 eme/FSK-441a modes. "Sure - it requires a lot of equipment to
>do this - not an easy thing to do," same as Tree notes for grid circlers.
>But once you have a JT-65/FSK-441a station set up, the computer makes the
>QSO with another computer (sometimes with a little help from one of the
>Internet chat pages while the op. is paying bills on-line).  No propagation,
>work, or operating skill needed or required.
>
>- Jon N0JK

   Mike Perryman                        Cavell, Mertz & Davis, Inc.
   jmperrym at cmdconsulting.com           Consulting Engineers
   http://www.cmdconsulting.com             7839 Ashton Avenue
   K5JMP                                Manassas, VA 20109   USA
   (703) 392-9090; (703) 392-9559 fax;  DC Line (202) 332-0110