[VHFcontesting] Fwd: Re: VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling

Ray J ray at w9ray.org
Tue Aug 9 19:09:28 EDT 2005

>>Other than possibly picking up a multiplier...  I
>>just don't see WSJT as a "useful tool".

Yep..  thats  the whole point of the contest..... to make q's and
mults......  u need something to do a 3:00 am.... you mise well be
making q's a 1000 miles out..

>>"" Another "artifical situation" regarding VHF and contesting, in my opinion,                                         are the JT-65 eme/FSK-441a modes. "Sure - it requires a lot of equipment to
>>do this - not an easy thing to do," same as Tree notes for grid circlers.
>>But once you have a JT-65/FSK-441a station set up, the computer makes the
>>QSO with another computer (sometimes with a little help from one of the
>>Internet chat pages while the op. is paying bills on-line).  No propagation,
>>work, or operating skill needed or required."

Its quite obvious you have not used wsjt much..... the program does not
run itself....u have to be there... u have to enter your info and u have
to be able to interperate the information on the screen... determine if
you are aimed right at the other opp..  and last time i checked.. u need
some type of propagation for the signal to get from your antenna to the
other guys antenna..and u have to determine if its going to work or
not...   and as for no operating skill needed or required... It takes a
whole lot more skill than talking into a microphone.....  or as many do
.. punching  a button on the voice keyer....

   I don't see any comparison  between wsjt users and grid circlers...
the wsjt users (that i know of)  are out there trying to work everyone
they can.. they spend time weeks in advance making skeds with people,
and have a genuine love for the sport..
    the pack rovers only want to work themselves so they get a big a$$
score....

As far as im concerned.. the pack rovers should'nt be allowed to compete
in the contest..  if a rover makes 75-100% of their points from other
rovers  its quite obvious they were not trying too hard to work other
people and therfore in violation of  rule-  2.3.5.All Rovers are
encouraged to adopt operating practices that allow as many stations as
possible to contact them.    its obvious when 3, 10 band rovers go
hundereds of miles from any other hams with qrp gear and tiny antennas
that their entire goal is to work no one else but themselves at close
distances...
    Why should there even be a seperate catigority..... there is nothing
to gain for the other hams in the area.. just  the ones in the pack..
seems to  be against what ham radio is even all about to me...

Ray J
W9RAY