[VHFcontesting] FSK/digital modes (was: Re: VHF Contesting:Fixing the Grid Circling)

Mike Perryman jmperrym at cmdconsulting.com
Wed Aug 10 10:43:16 EDT 2005

Guys,

Now that the issue has been examined thoroughly, I have to agree that while
it can be a useful tool...  I still don't consider it an unfair advantage.

In all honesty, I played with WSJT back when it was in it's infancy..  there
were not a lot of folks using it at that time.  I would spend hours just
copying and decoding to get nothing.  Don't get me wrong..  I worked many
stations...  it just took sooo long to find a "new" contact that it didn't
seem to be equitable for contesting.

Last evening I did a little looking around, and WSJT seems to have caught on
quite well!  Now that it is becoming more mainstream..  it could prove to be
a very useful tool.  I guess that I really should have kept my mouth shut
until I had more current knowledge..  I kind of stuck my foot in my mouth on
that one.  ;-).

Old data is usually bad data..  'nuf said there.

I know from my limited past experience that it's use does require operating
skill (ON BOTH ENDS OF THE QSO!!), in-depth knowledge of your equipments
capabilities..  i.e.; departure angles..  propagation..  and a few nice
sized, well timed, rocks also helps!

I would guess that my experiences on 6m are not really representative of the
upper bands..    I never really had much luck on 6m..  but I am going to
give it another try.  Judging from the activity levels I observed on
Ping-Jockey etc.  things have picked-up enormously!!  My biggest
disappointment in the past was lack of activity.  It would appear that has
changed.  2m seems to be the most active of the bands from what I observed
last night.

Also be aware that the software digs so deep into the noise that it will
"invent" decodes from it's own database...  in other words, it will try to
tell you "I think that was what I heard"..  with very subtle clues to
discern the difference from actual copy of good data.  Not to say that it is
a bad thing...  just be aware that the decoding algorithm really digs deep,
and can sometimes lead an operator astray.  I learned that one the hard
way...

As for fancy equipment...  all I have ever used is a laptop computer, and a
homebrew sound card interface that cost about 10 bucks to build.  In my
opinion..  the fancy equipment required is located directly between your
ears.

As for the grid circling issue..  I have to side with Mike..  increased
activity is the ultimate goal.
<<<<<<<<<<<
"I still believe that additional category's will encourage new roving
activities and will foster additional activity.  That should be our
ultimate goal ... right?
--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH"

In closing, one of the most important things I have learned is to admit when
I am wrong.
Gentlemen..  I stand corrected!  Thanks for the eye-opener.

73
Mike
K5JMP