[VHFcontesting] EME in VHF Contests

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Aug 10 13:22:35 EDT 2005

> I was quoting Mike KA5CVH...  I realize it might have been confusing as I am
> also named Mike K5JMP.  Sorry for the confusion
> And yes...  EME still takes big bucks.  Joe wasn't able to fix that one with
> code..

Hey - so what are the payoffs for EME?  I would like to hear from people who
have been active on EME during the contests - especially the June VHF contest.

I am considering shelling out the "big bucks" for a moderate two meter EME
array (something like 4x2M18XXXs or perhaps 8 smaller beams).  Does this
net me 10 QSOs?  20 QSOs?  100 QSOs?

I am old fashioned and probably won't use any of them fancy digital modes,
at least to start with.  I also wouldn't be setting up skeds ahead of time
as my HF contesting background just doesn't make that my first choice.

So - I would be relying on random QSOs - perhaps not even sticking to the
odd/even minute format (if I can get enough signal up there).

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net