[VHFcontesting] Captive Rovers - a mythical beast?

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:39:11 EDT 2005

Hi Bill:

Yes... it was Dean, WA0TKJ. His truck was one of the "rover" vehicles we
outfitted. He didn't drive it but stayed at the main station to operate.
Dean was one of the very first rovers.

It was the 1987 June VHF Q P. WB0DRL had hour anfter hour of 6M Es both days
all the way to Hawaii, 2M Es to Florida Sunday and tropo all the way to
W2SZ/1 Sunday morning. It was the "perfect storm" for VHF propagation that
midwest ops dream of - and the opportunity to win it all in the contest. The
first 220 MHz Es QSO was made in this contest.

I sincerely believe we would have beat W2SZ/1 that year - but for one
critical error. The 6M op left his operating position to operate 220
MHz(this was before 222 MHz) during the tropo opening while 6M was wide
open. Thus WB0DRL lost around 5 hours of 6M Es running time that Sunday
morning. If you go back to the contest write-up, check K5JL's 6M line score.
Plug it in instead of WB0DRL's - and we would have beat W2SZ/1.

Working tropo all the way to W1 and W2 land on 220 MHz from Kansas was too
enticing for the 6M op to ignore.

The 6M op was me.

- Jon N0JK