[VHFcontesting] Calling some leadership

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Aug 19 01:30:50 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, frank bechdoldt wrote:

> Roving is the only part of the contest that is expanding over the years.
> I did it 3 years  under 2 calls. (no I did not work myself at any corners)

Well, I worked myself on 10 GHz this afternoon in order to check out the
equipment for the contest this weekend.  QSLing was very easy but for some
reason I don't think it will count for any award.  :-)

> A no more than 10 percent rule would be good, and it would allow captive
> rovers that dont hand in logs to add to the score of the mothership. And
> the mothership would have to work everyone (which I am sure they do).  this
> allows clubs to compete by building more stations. But should encourage
> some staiions to talk to everyone.

The one problem I see with that is what do you do in the case of someone
who makes less than 10 QSO's?  My very first VHF contest in 1990 was done
on 144 MHz with a homebrew transverter running 5 watts and a 5 element
homebrew beam on a tripod in my living room.  I actually made 3 QSO's with
it.

New VHF contesters may be in similar circumstances.  I wouldn't want to
discourage them by demanding that they have to make a minimum number of
QSO's for it to count.

73, Zack W9SZ