[VHFcontesting] Downsizing my Rover station

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Sat Dec 24 14:48:47 EST 2005

Dan K9ZF wrote:

> I was planning to buy [probably used] an Icom 706Mk2G, or possibly an
> FT100D.

Having had a 706IIG for three years or so, and an 857D for about six
weeks, I come down pretty definitely on the side of the Yaesu. Strong
signal handling is considerably better, DSP and filters a *lot* better,
menu system better since you can put often-used functions on
programmable buttons. Not quite half the power consumption on RX.

The Yaesu also has a settable frequency display for use with
transverters, for what it's worth.

73
Frank
AB2KT