[VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Spring Sprint K5TR (WM5R, op.) Single Op

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Sun May 15 10:59:16 EDT 2005

2005 ETDXA 50 MHz Spring Sprint

    Contest Dates : 14-May-05, 15-May-05
    Callsign Used : K5TR
         Operator : WM5R
          Station : K5TR
         Category : SO
              QTH : STX

    6SSB      51          51         51      18

 Totals       51          51         51      18

    Final Score = 918 points.

Kenwood TS-690
Henry 3CX800 amplifier
Seven-element yagi at 30'
Eight-element yagi at 75'
Ameritron RCS-8V antenna switches
W9XT Contest Card
Heil Proset Plus w/rubber band boom mod
TR Log 6.79

Thanks again to George for letting me use his station for
this contest.

I had no enhanced propagation in the first hour of the
contest, and in fact only managed to work four local grids.
The band opened to south and central Florida around 0010
UTC, but it wasn't a very strong opening.  I worked 18
Floridians in the 0000 UTC clock hour, but none of them
were heard for the entire opening except for KC4PX.
The opening softened even more, but I was able to work
another five stations in Florida between 0100 UTC and
0130 UTC.

Another thin opening started around 0140 UTC, this time
to the Mid-Atlantic states area, and I eventually added
another six grids in the FM grid field to my totals, but
not many more QSOs.  The most consistently heard
stations in that direction were W2MMD and W3ZZ.  The
opening closed around 0230 UTC.

Local activity continues to be low.  I was unable to work
anyone in the Houston metro area, for example.  I worked
four members of the local HF contest club in Austin,
but as near as I can tell, not one active member of the
local VHF/UHF weak signal club in South Texas was on the
air.  This is the first time I've worked a VHF contest
and not made at least one contact with one of their
members.

  HOUR    6SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
   23       9       9       9