[VHFcontesting] WZ1V 2m Sprint

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 5 08:24:39 EDT 2006

Against my better judgement that 2m Sprints should only take place on
Monday nights, I operated most of it anyway (3.5 hrs, but CT reported 2.6
because the last hour was a big zero up until the last 2 minutes). Contrary
to popular belief I don't have a super station, just 700W from a soft pair
of 8874's and a single yagi M2 2M-5WL at 67'. Conditions were awful! A cold
front moved through earlier in the day with snow flurries, and the power
line noise at the start of the contest was S7. It quieted down later and I
was finally able to hear some of the stations I was working!
Best DX west was out to EN91 and EN92, SW down to FM08, and NE to FN54 (TNX
K1DY!). My MIA list as usual included FN22, FN33, and FN34, despite lots of
time burning ether in those directions. Score was 77 QSOs in 23 Grids. TNX
to all who got on and to ETDXA for sponsoring even though it was on the
wrong night! Has anyone got ahold of WU40 about this?
-73, Ron WZ1V FN31mp