[VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 19:29:02 EDT 2006

--- Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:
> Think we should use the NCJ sprint QSY rule to help
> spread things out.

> Would elminate one or two big guns having to hog the
> calling frequency all evening to get the best score.

On the other hand, the best operators in your region
probably already realize that the big guns are sitting
on 144.200 and are already tuning +/- 30 kHz, looking
for the little pistols.

Unfortunately, those little pistols have apparently
not figured out that it is easier to make contacts by
calling CQ (even at QRP power levels) at -15 kHz than
it is listening to the big guns hogging the calling
frequency and complining that they are.

I run a stack of halos and 200 watts.  I've often
wondered why my CQ's go unanswered for 20 minutes,
only to eventually hear a BigGun's signal begin to
build as they turn their antennas my way.  I'm a big
boy, and this is a competition.  I can't take them
on...so I move.  Within moments, I have answers again.

It's all part of becoming a better operator (that is,
until my 2m KW is built...and I add another 8
halos...THEN I'll take 'em on. <grin>).

Ev, W2EV