[VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Thu Apr 6 08:24:30 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:29:02PM -0700, Radiosporting Fan wrote:
> --- Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:
> > Think we should use the NCJ sprint QSY rule to help
> > spread things out.
>
> > Would elminate one or two big guns having to hog the
> > calling frequency all evening to get the best score.
>
> On the other hand, the best operators in your region
> probably already realize that the big guns are sitting
> on 144.200 and are already tuning +/- 30 kHz, looking
> for the little pistols.
>
> Unfortunately, those little pistols have apparently
> not figured out that it is easier to make contacts by
> calling CQ (even at QRP power levels) at -15 kHz than
> it is listening to the big guns hogging the calling
> frequency and complining that they are.

This is unfortunately incorrect.

I have operated a lot of contests from a four-band station
with individual monoband yagis at ~90' and brick amplifiers
or better located in the center of a relatively good sized
city in Texas.  Several years ago, as an experiment, I
operated an entire September contest never once calling CQ
on 144.200.  I answered people calling CQ there, but all of
my CQing I did on 144.205, 144.210, etc...  I operated the
contest full time and only took a few hours off in the middle
of the night.  The result?  I could count the number of
stations that answered my off-144.200 CQs on one hand.
My score compared to previous years dropped 70%.  It was
abysmal.

I know not all parts of the country are alike, but in Texas,
if you're not on the calling frequency, you're losing the
contest.